Wednesday, October 15, 2008

EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY PROJECT UNIT II

WWW.howstuffworks.com/gif/adam/images/en/1

This lab project is to see how my blood pressure, pulse, and respirations are affected  by doing physical activities.  I chose physical activities because I try to exercise at least four times a week.

I have chosen running around my house for the first exercise assignment.  I am literally running outside around my house.  For this exercise, I will run around my house once, then come in and take my measurements.  I know that my metabolic measurements will go up because this exercise is physical.  When you exercise, your heart rate goes up, so with my heart rate up, that makes the heart beat faster, and forcing blood through faster.   The blood moving faster through my heart will make my blood pressure go up.  The heart has to work harder then at rest.  With the repetition of running around my house, (resting in between, through the course of the day) I believe that my measurement will go up, but that they may stay the same with each repetition.  While resting, my measurements should come back to, or close to my baseline, I am not sure how long this takes, but I guess about a half hour.

For the second exercise, I chose to lift weights.  This is a tuff one, but I believe that my metabolic measurements will go up slightly.  With the repetition of doing this three times through the course of the day I will increase the number of time I lift them.  For the first repetition I will do four sets of  6 reps (arms), for the second, I will do six sets of 6 reps, and for the last one I will do eight sets of 6 reps.  I know that my measurements will go up, but it won't be as drastic as running around my house.  After I rest, I believe that my measurements will return to my baseline.  Lifting weights is physical, but not as physical as running.  My recover for my measurements should take about a half hour.

For the third exercise, I have a manual treadmill that I will walk on.  First for 30 seconds (not easy to move)!!!  Second, I will do one minute and the third I will do a minute and a half.  My treadmill is not electric so it is very hard to move so I know that my measurements will go up.  The one for 30 seconds will not  affect my measurements to much, but the next two will.  I will also rest in between these reps.  My measurements should go back to baseline.  I am not sure how quickly your measurements recover for activity, but I believe it should take about a half hour to 45 minutes?!

Pics

devices used This is a picture of my digital blood pressure machine and a watch to take my pulse and respirations.

takingbp This is me taking my blood pressure

digitalbp The reading of my systolic and diastolic.  This machine also takes my pulses, but I used my fingers and a watch.

takingpulse This is me taking my pulse

treadmill This is my manual treadmill and on it is  the sneakers I used to run around my house and the weights that I used for my 2nd activity.

As for my hypothesis I think I was very close to what I imagined.  With my first exercise, running, my measurements went up drastically.  Kind of scared me!  My second activity, weights, I  said that they would go up slightly and they did.  The respirations went up the most.  As for the third activity, the treadmill, all the measurements went up.  The first reading only went up slightly because I was only on the treadmill for 30 seconds.

Here are my graphs.........

Preview of your graph

Below is a preview of your graph. To edit your graph Click here...

Preview of your graph

 

Preview of your graph

 

Below is a preview of your graph. To edit your graph Click here...

Preview of your graph

I tried to put the metabolic table that you provided, but it would not cut and paste.  So I tried my best.

 

 

METABOLIC RATE DATA TABLE

Repetition 1    Rep 2    Rep 3    Rep 4    Rep 5                                            Means
Baseline    resting    resting    resting    resting    resting   
PULSE
68    66    66    64    66    70                                                                             66.4

RESPIRATION
20    18    18    20    18    18                                                                              18.4
 SYSTOLIC
108    106    111    111    102    96                                                                    105.2
DIASTOLIC
78    65    70    72    65    59                                                                               66.2
Activity 1    Running                    
PULSE
68    119    88    101                                                                                          102.6
RESPIRATIONS
29    26    24    26                                                                                                25.3
SYSTOLIC
108    137    151    149                                                                                       145.6
 DIASTOLIC
78    88    91    104                                                                                              94.3
Activity 2    Weights 4 sets    6 sets    8 sets           
PULSE
68    86    80    84                                                                                                 83.3
RESPIRATIONS
20    18    28    28                                                                                                 24.6
SYSTOLIC
108    115    112    107                                                                                         111.3
 DIASTOLIC
78    76    70    63                                                                                                  69.9
Activity 3    Treadmill 30sec    1 min    1.5 min       
PULSE
68    93    127    125                                                                                                115
RESPIRATIONS
20    22    28    30                                                                                                    26.6
SYSTOLIC
108    108    128    135                                                                                            123.6
DIASTOLIC
78    78    82    85                                                                                                     81.6

No comments: